Sunday, February 5, 2012

Rice Krispie Treats

Sometimes you just yearn for that nostalgic feel.  And what else but Rice Krispie Treats brings out that feeling?  Memories of bake sales galore!  My dad's RKT were specially requested at all my elementary and middle school bake sales.  His RKT always sold out, every. single. time.  The parents of the kids I went to school with only tried once to compete with Dad's RKT and they failed miserably.

Even the professional baker whom I adore, Zoe Francios {blog found here}, admits that Rice Krispies are one of her favorite things - of course, she fancies hers up quite a bit with brown butter and vanilla beans.  Me, I'm a traditionalist.  Give me the old, 3 ingredient recipe any day.  To me, this is one of those recipes that has been made for so long in the same way that it's perfect just the way it is.  It's almost sacrilege to toy around with the recipe.  Because I'm adamant about this, ladies and gents, I give you....

The Original Rice Krispie Treat
recipe courtesy of the Rice Krispie Treat box

3 Tbsp. Butter
1 jar Marshmallow Creme (I used Marshmallow Fluff) -OR- 10 oz. package Large Marshmallows
6 c. Rice Krispie Treats Cereal

Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
In a large pan, melt butter over low heat.
Add marshmallows (creme or otherwise) and stir until melted.  (This takes a long time... a loooooooong time.)
Remove from heat.
Add cereal and stir until well combined.
Using a butter spatula/parchment paper/your hands that have been coated in cooking spray, press the mixture into your 9x13 pan.
Allow the mixture to sit at room temp until cool.
Cut into squares and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment