Sunday, February 5, 2012

Peanut Butter S'mores Bars

I have something terrible to admit to everyone.  I had my first s'more when I was 25 years old.  I'm 26 now.  My best friend, Erin, was making them in her oven and gave me one.  I've been hooked ever since!  I wanted to find a s'more in bar form.  The marshmallow and chocolate were just a little too messy for me (Erin calls me the world's cleanest cook - I cannot stand a mess while I cook or eat!).  Off I went on a google search for a s'mores bar.  I found quite a few of them, some better than others.  This particular recipe intrigued me simply because I love peanut butter.  Anything with peanut butter is worth trying in my book.  Ryan wasn't too crazy about this recipe but I sure was!

Peanut Butter S'mores Bars
courtesy of myrecipes.com

1 c. Brown Sugar
1/2 c. Peanut Butter (I used creamy but you can use crunchy if that's your cup of tea)
2 T. Butter
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 Egg Whites
1 1/2 c. Self-Rising Flour
1 Jar of Marshmallow Creme
2/3 c. Chocolate Chips (I used mini choc chips!)
Cooking Spray

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine the first five ingredients (through egg whites) in a bowl and beat until combined.
Stir in your flour.
Press into a 9x13 pan that's been coated with cooking spray.
Top with marshmallow creme and sprinkle with the chocolate chips.
Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until the base of the s'more is done!
(Note:  I had a bit of trouble with the center of these.  You may want to par-bake the peanut butter crust for a few minutes before adding the marshmallow creme.  The marshmallow creme prevented the center from cooking completely.  If you do that, remember to reduce your remaining cooking time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment