Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Peach Crisp

Last weekend, Ryan and I took a trip to the farmer's market.  I love going to the farmer's market.  I love sampling the local produce and it just gives you a good feeling when you know you're supporting local farmers.  The produce you get from the farmer's market pales in comparison to what you get at the grocery store.  If you remember from one of my previous peach posts, I only buy peaches from the farmer's market because I can't find the peaches I love anywhere else.  Sadly, peach season has come to an end but I did find one lone farmer selling the last of his peach crop and I bought six peaches.  Still yummy but they had to be used quickly because I knew they weren't going to last long.  So off I went to my plethora of cookbooks!  I wanted to make something quick and simple with ingredients I had on hand and I found this cute little recipe (and for those of you that are tired of my KAF adoration/recipes, this isn't a KAF recipe!) and I just happened to have everything I needed.  The recipe is extremely versatile you can use this crisp recipe for any type of fruit!

Peach Crisp
courtesy of Southern Plate by Christy Jordan (adapted slightly by me!)

Fresh Peaches (I had 6 medium-large peaches.  Don't have fresh?  You can use one can of peaches, drained)
1/4 c. Flour (KAF - you can use All Purpose or Self-Rising, no matter what you have on hand)
1/4 c. + 1/8 c. Brown Sugar
1/4 c. Oats (quick-cooking or old fashioned?  Doesn't matter - use what you have!)
1/2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice (or you can just use cinnamon)
1/4 c. (1/2 stick) Butter, fresh from the fridge

Preheat the oven to 400.
Arrange the peaches into 6 ramekins (or an 8x8 pan.  I used ramekins because I love individual servings)
In a bowl, combine all of your dry ingredients.
Sprinkle over the peaches (if using small ramekins, it should take around 2 Tbsp. of the dry mixture to cover the top).
If using ramekins, cut the butter into individual tablespoons and then cut in half.  Use 1/2 Tbsp. butter for the small ramekins (cut the butter into small pieces) and dot over the ramekins.  Repeat process for the remaining ramekins.  If using a big pan, dot the butter all over.
Bake until lightly browned which is around 20 minutes.
Serve warm and preferably with ice cream!


(these are his and hers crisps - cute right?)

Calories - Small ramekins (R) - 152, Large (L) - 240

1 comment: