Thursday, December 17, 2015

The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap - "Party" M&M Cookies

It's that time of year again... *drumroll please* ...............

The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2015

Yes!  Food Blogger Cookie Swap time!!  I look forward to this every year.  I get some amazing cookies from some seriously good home bakers.  Not to mention doing some good work.  As always, in order to participate, you have to make a donation to Cookies for Kids Cancer which is matched by our brand partners.  This year, we raised an over an astounding SEVEN THOUSAND dollars!  Not bad for a bunch of folks making cookies.  And since I'm such a sharing and giving person (I hear all my friends out there laughing at me ;-) ), my husband and best friend also look forward to cookie swap time.  Because, let's be honest - no one can eat three dozen cookies, no matter how much you spread them out.  The amazingly good cookies I got this year were:

Chocolate Chunk Peppermint Pudding Cookies from The Secret Ingredient [is Love] - the husband's favorite
Toasted Pecan Crackles from Southern Kissed - my favorite
White Chocolate-Cranberry Cookies from My Heavenly Recipes - the bestie's favorite

Usually, I have narrowed down my potential cookies to send within a matter of days but this time, nope.  Not happenin'.  It took me WEEKS to figure out what to bake!  Which is so not like me.  (I blame my crazy, self-employed life.)  I finally settled on baking something from my childhood.  They say scent is one of the strongest ties to memories that you can have.  While I waiting for these babies to bake, I couldn't help but remember all the times I made these - well, "helped" make them.  Really it was just watching my mom and licking all the dough batter off the beaters.  And then eating the cookies.  (It's quality control - the taste of the batter can determine how good the cookies will be and if the batter is bad, the cookie will be bad.  So really I was like the "Quality Supervisor" for my mom's kitchen.)

I'm not quite sure why they are named "Party Cookies" but they taste so good that I don't ask questions.  I'm pretty sure my mom got this recipe off the bag of M&Ms Baking Minis back in the 80s, when I was little.  While my copy of the recipe is nicely printed in Times New Roman on a piece of printer paper, I distinctly remember seeing the original taped to a 3x5 card in my mom's green recipe box (that is older than I am).

I hope everyone enjoyed the cookies I sent them (Justina at Fail Sweetly, Melissa at Persnickety Plates - love the name, btw, and Mary at this tasty life) as much as I enjoyed making them!  And to anyone else who wants to make them, I hope you can start a holiday tradition of cookie baking with your kids just like my mom did with me.

"Party" M&Ms Cookies
adapted slightly from a recipe my mom found somewhere.

1/2 c. Shortening
1/2 c. Butter, Unsalted
1 c. Brown Sugar, packed
1/2 c. Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla
2 Eggs
2 1/4 c. All Purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 c. M&Ms Baking Minis

Preheat oven to 375.
Spray cookie sheet with baking spray or line with parchment paper.
Blend shortening, butter, and sugars in a large bowl.
Beat in vanilla and eggs.
In another bowl, sift flour, baking soda, and salt together.
Add flour mixture to sugar-egg mixture and blend well.
Stir in M&Ms.
Using a tablespoon cookie scoop, drop onto a prepared cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. YES! The recipe is posted! I'm not even ashamed to say I ate like half of the cookies in 5 minutes. Thank you so much! They're delish. I gave the other half to my coworkers kids because I would have eaten all of them.

    ReplyDelete