Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Traditional Pumpkin Pie

Do you remember the other day that I mentioned my husband was back in a pumpkin mood?  Well, it seems that his year-long hiatus from pumpkin is now back - with a vengeance .  Not only did I make him pumpkin scones but then he asks me to make him a pumpkin pie!  Can you believe that?  You'd think he thinks I like to bake or something.  I have no idea.  Who knew men could be so demanding?

Generally speaking, I like to keep things traditional.  I'm not someone who makes a bunch of wild and crazy things.  I am interested in making different things but when it comes down to it, I love traditional Southern food.  With Thanksgiving coming up at the end of this week, what is more traditional than a pumpkin pie?  (Of course, every year, I make my Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake because it's awesome but it certainly isn't a recipe you want to make multiple times a year, that's for sure.)

Traditional Pumpkin Pie
adapted slighlty from Libby's Pumpkin

3/4 c. Sugar
2 1/2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
2 Eggs (large)
1 - 15 oz. can Pumpkin
1 - 12 oz. can Evaporated Milk
1 unbaked Deep Dish Pie Shell  (no deep dish?  That's fine - this recipe will make 2 regular size pies.)

Preheat your oven to 425 with your cookie sheet.
Mix sugar and spices together in a large bowl.
Then beat in your eggs.
Stir the pumpkin into your egg mixture.
Gently stir in the evaporated milk.
Pour into your unbaked pie shell.  (Your shell will be VERY FULL!)
GENTLY transfer your pie to the oven and onto your preheated baking sheet.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Reduce your oven temperature to 350.  (Do not open your oven.)
Bake for an additional 40 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.  (Mine took right at 40 minutes.)
Cool on a wire rack for at least two hours.
Then refrigerate or serve immediately... preferably with whipped cream.



2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jamie! Thank you for the box of amazing chocolate cookies! My daughter cannot wait to dive in after dinner tonight. Me, too. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!!! Liz (That Skinny Chick Can Bake)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz! I'm so glad you enjoyed them :)

      Delete