Thursday, August 21, 2014

Budget Friendly Dinner Series - Chicken Tamale Casserole

Have you ever had one of those days where you just go, "I don't know if I have the strength to make dinner?"  It's just been a terrible day at work, the kids are begging for attention, the dog is barking (or the cat keeps trying to trip you), and you just want to reach for the take-out menu or call the nearest pizza place that offers delivery.  I've been there so I know you have.  And I have a solution!  Chicken Tamale Casserole.  I know, I know.  I'd already done something similar to this on my blog before.  But this is completely different from the Tamale Pie I posted a few months ago.  That used hamburger, this uses chicken; that had lots of veggies, this has none.  This is absolutely one of me and my husband's favorite meals.  It's quick and easy to put together and talk about leftovers!  A 9x13 casserole makes leftovers galore!  This recipe is so simple to put together and its one that allows your kids to help you.  They could help pull the chicken off the bones for this casserole or let them poke lots of holes with a fork after the corn muffin mix cooks.  (After all, getting your kids in the kitchen is a great way to teach them about how to make fresh food and where their food comes from.)

Chicken Tamale Casserole
adapted slightly from Cooking Light

1 c. Mexican Cheese Blend, divided
1/3 c. Skim Milk
1 Egg
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 (14.75 oz.) can of Cream-Style Corn
1 (8.5 oz.) box Corn Muffin Mix (I used Jiffy Mix)
1 (4 oz.) can Diced Green Chiles, drained
1 (10 oz.) can Red Enchilada Sauce
2 c. Shredded Chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken that I bought at the grocery store)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
Combine 1/4 cup of cheese, milk, egg, cumin, can of cream-style corn, and the box of corn muffin mix, stirring until just moist.
Pour the mixture into your 9x13 pan.
Bake for 15 minutes or until set.
Now take a fork and poke holes all over the corn muffins!
Pour the can of enchilada sauce over the corn muffins.
Top with chicken and sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup of cheese over the top (feel free to add more cheese if you're so inclined).
Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the cheese melts.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for five minutes before serving.
Eat and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment