Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tips-n-Tricks Tuesday: BBQ Seasoning

Everyone in the South loves barbecue.  And I mean, everyone.  The big problem is everyone likes DIFFERENT barbecue.  In Eastern North Carolina (where I'm from), we love our whole hog pork bbq.  My dad and grandfather are excellent pig cookers.  My grandfather even MADE his pig cooker out of an old oil drum he found.  That's how into cooking whole hogs he is.  Now in Texas (where Mr. Gaited Baker is from) it is all about brisket.  And let's not even get started on the sauces.  Because everyone knows vinegar-based and ketchup-based sauces are THE best ;)  We're going to pretend that that atrocious white sauce that's from Alabama doesn't exist, okay y'all?

It will probably come as a shock that one of my favorite barbecue seasonings is actually from Tennessee.  I LOVE this seasoning.  It's great to use as a rub on pork chops or to even mix in some chili.  But the REAL reason that I love this seasoning blend will be shown to you in the next "Budget Friendly Dinner" post (coming soon to a blog near you!) and I will go ahead and tell you now - it is going to BLOW YOUR MIND!!

This seasoning blend actually makes just under a pint of seasoning so I use a pint jar with a screw on lid to keep it in my pantry.  The blend keeps its flavor for around six months but once you try it, it will not last six months in your pantry.

Neely's Barbecue Seasoning
recipe courtesy of Down Home with the Neelys

3/4 c. Paprika
6 Tbsp. Sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. + 1/2 tsp. Onion Powder

Pour all ingredients in a pint jar.
Shake to mix it all together.
Use over your favorite pork products or where you just need a little extra kick of flavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment