Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Blackberry-Peach Coffee Cake

Do you remember awhile back I posted the Blackberry Turnover post and I promised another blackberry recipe would be forthcoming?  Well, here it is.  Blackberry-Peach Coffee Cake.  After I had made the blackberry turnovers, I had just a few blackberries left.  Certainly not enough to make another specific blackberry-y thing so I needed a recipe that used not only blackberries but also another fruit.  Off I went in search of recipes.  I didn't take me long to find this recipe which I knew all my family and friends would love since they all love both peaches and blackberries (and I actually tried this one due to the large amount of peaches included in the recipe and you know I love me some peaches!).  I posted the picture of the coffee cake before the streusel was put on so you could see all the lovely berry-fruity goodness. 

I used fresh peaches and blackberries but you could use any sort of fresh fruit you have on hand.  I'm sure a fresh, mixed berry coffee cake would be wonderful!

Blackberry-Peach Coffee Cake
courtesy of Classic Southern Desserts

Coffee Cake:
1/2 c. Butter, softened
1 c. Sugar
2 Eggs
2 c. All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
2/3 c. Milk
2 tsp. Vanilla
2 c. Fresh Peaches, peeled and sliced
1 c. Fresh Blackberries

Streusel Topping:
1/2 c. Butter, softened
1/2 c. Sugar
1/2 c. Firmly Packed Light Brown Sugar
2/3 c. All Purpose Flour
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350.
Prepare streusel topping by beating the butter at medium speed with a mixer until creamy.
Gradually adding both sugars and mixing until combined.
Add your flour and spices and beat until blended.
Now its time to make the coffee cake!
Once again, beat your butter with a mixer until creamy.
Add sugar and mix well.
Now you need to mix in your eggs, one at a time, blending completely after each addition.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
Alternate adding your flour mixture and milk to your butter mixture, starting and ending with the flour, beating at a low speed.
Stir in vanilla.
Pour the batter into an 8x8 pan that's been coated in non-stick spray (preferably using a non-stick spray that includes flour).
Top with your fruity goodness.
Spread your streusel mixture on top of the fruity goodness, working in one-inch pieces.
Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Allow to cool on a wire rack for at least 1 and a half hours (yep, long time.).

Note:  I used a glass 8x8 pan.  If you want to use a dark pan, wrap the outsides with foil before baking to get the best results.

Before:
(ain't it pretty?)

After:

No comments:

Post a Comment