Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Budget Friendly Dinner Series - Tex-Mex Calzones

What do you think of when someone says, "calzone"?  Italian... pepperoni, mozzarella cheese stretching out from the piece in your hand to the piece now in your mouth?  Seinfeld perhaps?


I highly doubt you think of Tex-Mex when it comes to calzones.  Truth be told, neither did I.  Until I found this recipe that is.  I actually adapted this recipe from a recipe I found in Cooking Light.  I'm not the biggest fan salsa verde or ground chicken so I wanted to change it up a bit.  I made this recipe a few times until I finally found the recipe I make today!  And now I share it with you so you can make it tonight.

Tex-Mex Calzones
original recipe by Cooking Light, adapted by me!

1 Pillsbury Ready-Made Pie Crust (use the kind in the box in the biscuit section of your grocery store)
Bottle of your favorite Salsa (I use Pace Restaurant Style)
1/4 - 1/3 c. Shredded Mexican Cheese
1/2 pound Ground Chicken
Tortilla Chips

Cook your ground chicken until no longer pink.
While your chicken is cooking, preheat your oven and allow your pie crust to come to room temp as per the directions on the pie crust box.
Add in half a cup of salsa.
Roll out your pie crust.
Pour your salsa-chicken mixture onto one half of the pie crust, leaving a one inch space between the edge of the pie crust and the chicken.
Top with cheese (add as much or as little as you'd like).
Fold the other half of the pie crust over the chicken mixture.
Seal closed with a fork or your fingers.
Cut three vent holes into the top of the pie crust with a knife.
Bake in your preheated oven for 12-15 minutes.
Serve with the remainder of the salsa and chips and enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I would never have thought of using those tex mex flavours in a calzone but it sounds really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Stein wants an eggplant calzone

    ReplyDelete